Wednesday, July 30, 2008

confession

i think i want to be a scrapbooker!
i've always liked cutting things up and, of course, stickers.

what i don't understand is when scrapbooking became a retail category in it's own. there's nothing scrappy about that! when i purchased the corner punches for our invitations, i went into "archiver's" for the first time. totally overwhelming. riduclously, unforgivingly, expensive. they had beautiful sheets of paper wrapped in shiny celophane envelopes, tons of themed stickers, and even fake passport stamps. for my scrapbook, i am inspired to use the actual scraps of my life. not purchase the scraps and make more scraps. silly! andrew bird tickets stubs, post-it love notes, our first piece of mail addressed to the "kajander family," how could i simply recycle those things?

i have this box of hundreds of tiny origami paper squares, in the most beautiful colors and patterns imaginable. i brougt them to a women's retreat last year, and my friends cut them up as part of an art project. i used them for making the advent calendar last christmas, which was my last crafty effort. i had been wondering what to do with them next. seriously, hundreds of them! they will be right at home decorating my scrapbook. i think big sometimes. i can already imagine this idea turning into a scrap-pile.

6 comments:

Colleen said...

That is such a great idea. With scrapbooks it is best to think one page at a time, and add to it as you go. Before you know it, it will be complete and you'll be ready to start a baby scrapbook :)

Vikki said...

So true. Though, I have to admit that I love going into paper stores and looking at all of the gadgets and stuff.

Unknown said...

You are an amazing scraper! That advent calendar was one of the best things ever.

I will 100% support you in your scrapbooking as long as it with the scraps of our life, but if you ever use one of those fake passport stamp it's over!

Kristin said...

Please keep me posted.

Missy said...

Oh my goodness, my comment is not here! I hope it was not offensive!

sarah said...

lol missy! i never saw your comment!