Sunday, November 30, 2008

mittens vs. gloves

i guess there is a reason why chunky, colorful mittens work for me.

this season i bought a pair of sleek black leather driving gloves. i thought they would look
more professional, more authoritative now that i am out in the field for work.
the first day i wore them, i stopped at lunds on the way home from work. by the time i got home, i only had one glove.

i think i stepped out of the car and the glove fell from my lap into the parking lot at lunds. it was just so flat, and black, i didn't notice it on the ground. i would have noticed a giant colorful mitten on the asphalt.

there is nothing that would discern my glove from any other. i can't really call lunds and ask if they have found one "plain black leather glove." of course they have! lost and found boxes all over the world are full of single black gloves. it would be much easier to call and ask if they have found an "orange and purple recycled-sweater mitten."

my glove is gone, i am sure, but there is still hope for others...
one of my favorite winter sights is a single abandoned mitten propped up on a fence post or a mail box, in hopes that it's owner will wander by again.

5 comments:

amy said...

i love coming across lost and found trees in parks that people have covered with homeless mittens! hopefully your glove will end up in a loving home!

Vikki said...

So sorry about your lost glove but I got a laugh out of this :)

Missy said...

I cannot make the jump to gloves, especially sleek grown-up ones! This post has convinced me that my hunch to stick with mittens is a good one.

I hope you find your homeless glove! Or maybe a very similar glove!

Bree said...

Stick with mittens. "adult" gloves are too stuffy or at least the women who wear them to my work give them a bad aura:)

Colleen said...

I have to agree about the mittens, I would have lost mine had it not been bright red and shining back at me on the ground in the parking ramp yesterday.