Friday, December 5, 2008

St. Nicholas Day

in december of 2006, i wrote the following blog post:



Tomorrow is St. Nicholas Day. Because my brother's name is Nicholas, it has always been a family tradition to celebrate this day.

For the past 27 years, on the eve of St. Nicholas Day, I put my shoes outside my door and wake up in the morning to find them overflowing with magical treats. You know, like Rolo's and Tootsie Pops, and maybe a $5 bill. Yes, it's true, just like Santa Claus, St. Nicholas can find you where ever you are. With the help of the USPS he even found me in Duluth. I enjoy tradition. Comfort. Candy.

I have been reflective and sad all day after receiving the following email, yes, email, from St. Nick:

Dearest Nick and Sarah,
Well, I must say you have both grown up to be admirable young adults. I have watched you through the years and am as proud of you as your parents are. You are both fine young people. I think it's time for me to concentrate my attention on youngsters who will be lucky to get some coal in their shoes! Look for my return when YOU have youngsters I'll need to keep an eye on.
All my love to you both always,
St. Nicholas


Yep. I have been officially declared an adult, by the Patron Saint of Children. I feel broken-up with. Let down. I didn't see this one coming. I believed in the magic. It could have gone on forever? No?

Then again, maybe St. Nicholas is right. Maybe the time has come. Maybe I am an admirable young adult. Maybe the tradition does not have to die. Maybe this isn't so bad. After all, St. Nicholas believes in me.

But, for the rest of today, I am going to pout, play, and eat cake. Then, tomorrow, I will grow up.

------------------------------------

two years later, now, st. nicholas day is tomorrow. the above email greatly effected my family. now that there is some distance from it, let me tell you what happened after that day.

my brother and i were devastated! we protested to st. nick (commonly known as mom.) we let her know how much that tradition has meant to us and how we were not ready to give it up. how it made us sad to think of the holiday season without it. how we knew we were grown ups but for that one day, we could forget that we were. when we woke up and looked for our shoes, we escaped from all other worries. my mom hadn't thought of all that. she was simply trying to respect the fact that we were getting older, more mature.

when we explained our sadness, my mom immediately understood the magnitude of that email. she took it back! in fact, later that same day, st. nick arrived at my work, with a paper bag full of treats, and a heartbroken mother asking for forgiveness.

you see, we will always be children to her, um, st. nick.
maybe until we are filling the tiny shoes of our own children, st. nick will come to visit us and remind us how much we are loved. i bet he will.

3 comments:

Missy said...

I love that story.

I believe in you! the adult and child you!

Vikki said...

Geez. You made me cry. I'll have to remember this when my kids are grown.

mthep said...

oh i love st. nick's day! my mom brought some treats for my aunt and cousins who we were staying with in wisconsin last weekend, and left out a bowl of goodies for her to find the next morning. at breakfast that morning my aunt told us that st. nick hadn't visited her house since my grandpa (her dad) passed away about 10 years ago. apparently he used to drive around their small town, leaving treats on front porches and in mailboxes for family and friends in the area. his last stop was always her house, and he'd visit and warm up with a cup of coffee before heading back to the farm.

i'm glad to hear st. nick still visits you too!